Sunday, March 14, 2010

Episode 6: On Spring, Change, & Musical ADD

Living in New England I sometimes forget what balmy air and sunshine feel like after months of the soul-sucking winds and penetrating cold of winter. It's a feeling that becomes so foreign, I've found myself repeating a line from Vampire Weekend's new album, Contra, as an explanation for the novelty of spring weather: "Here comes a feeling you thought you'd forgotten / chairs to sit and sidewalks to walk on." In New England, chairs are far too cold in the winter, and sidewalks aren't for walking--they're for shoveling. The winter's bitter cold and gloomy grey slows everything to a near stand-still, and I find myself listening to music that reflects the lethargy and self-imposed house arrest of the lengthy season's duration. There is nothing I love more than for an album's release and overal feel to coincide with the season or change of season in which it is released. My first winter after graduating from college, I lived with four dudes in a house in my hometown, Boulder, Colorado. I remember very distinctly one of my roommates, John Fountain (who I will be writing about in the near future when he releases his new album), coming home one day in his black Jeep Wrangler. He popped out of the jeep with his sparkly sunglasses and flowing blonde hair, entered the kitchen with his characteristically springy step, and said, "Dude, I just found out about this band called Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Great album." As he held the CD in the air, my eyes followed it like a hungry pet. The album, as I soon discovered, was called Howl, and it is still one of my favorite albums to listen to in the spring and summer to this day. So When I heard there was a new Black Rebel Motorcycle Club album being released a couple weeks ago, I knew spring was just around the corner. Spring has sprung. Which brings me to my next point: change. 
The movement in music of late--particularly with the influence of an ever-changing and instantaneous internet landscape--is one of constant innovation and newness. We can't get enough of what is about to be the newest thing, but something is old almost as soon as you've heard of it (let alone listened to it). This includes a band's sound and style. Very few bands were able, even before the days of speedy internet acquisition, to strike a balance between a style it can call its own and an evolution it can call innovation. But with our hungry, internet grubbing fingers seeking new music faster than we are able to listen to it, many wonderful bands are forgotten before they have a chance to create a stamp on the music scene that even approaches indelible. Such rampant accessibility and consumerism may be, ironically, a major downside to the independent scene's steady dismantling of the record industry. With access to literally more music than we are able to appreciate or listen to, it becomes easy to take for granted music if it is not different than what you heard earlier that week (let alone earlier that day). We've become spoiled and we need to take a step back and remind ourselves to appreciate music for being good, not being different or innovative or simply new. Our musical ADD is preventing us from being good listeners and consumers. This is not to say that being good and being different/innovative are mutually exclusive, but it does not necessarily follow that if something is one of these two things then it must be the other (nor am I suggesting that the record industry's grasp on popular music is a format we should return to--read this awesome article my roommate, Anne, sent to me. I find myself going through music simply to go through music, when I should be enjoying music and allowing time for it to sink in. This is something that is difficult, as I enjoy writing a blog about new music, but want to take the time to truly listen to the music I already have.
Thank god for roommates who remind me to slow down and enjoy. I'll work on it if you do.
The following are some albums I've been listening to that help me welcome the weather with a sound to match. I hope you find one or two you can enjoy.


Artist: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Album: Beat The Devil's Tattoo
Click here to listen






Thanks again to John Fountain for originally introducing me to this band. It's not that BRMC's sound is difficult to describe--it's quite easy, in fact: they're a gritty, bluesy garage rock band from California that melds their rock n' roll with a tinge of Dylan-esque folk balladry and pop. This is another band that is often panned by critics for producing successive albums that either sound exactly the same as previous albums or, as in the case of their entirely instrumental 2008 album, The Effect of the 333, sound like complete drivel. Well, I say, "Fuck you, music critic!" While I do agree that, like most bands, they have clear standouts in their discography (Howl, Take Them On, On Your Own), I'm okay with bands continuing to make the music they're good at making. I don't expect OK Computer--Kid A shifts between albums from every band that comes along. And so, with Beat The Devil's Tatoo, I'm incredibly satisfied to hear some good, entirely expected blues rock from a band that does it well. Album standouts include the title track, as well as "Bad Blood," "Sweet Feeling," and the ten+ minute album closer, "Half-State." It's a fun album and perfect for the coming days of Spring. Enjoy.

Artist: Mumford & Sons
Album: Sigh No More
Click here to listen






The only thing cooler than having a good friend who consistently passes on excellent music is a good friend who also passes on original artwork for you to hang on your walls (hint, hint). For the time being I'll settle for the former perk, but hey, a guy can dream, right? My good friend Jordan (see Episode 1: On The Pink Ninja in the Rain), suggested I pick up a copy of this album a couple weeks ago, and I haven't stopped listening to it since. Here's the full disclaimer: Mumford & Sons are Frightened Rabbit's folkier, English brother, and they craft dramatic, borderline emo-folk with an earnestness that is almost laughable. And I love it. If you listen to no other song, listen to "Little Lion Man." It is a perfectly controlled, well-paced folk romper that is lyrically self-deprecating but musically inspiring and uplifting. It's thumping bass drum and energetic banjo, combined with front-man Marcus Mumford's slightly whiny, Brit-tinged voice is utterly addictive for all the wrong reasons. Album opener, "Sigh No More," gives away the band's basic formula: start slow and sparse, add instrumentation, pick up the pace, and climax with a crescendo of often cringe-worthy lyrics but undeniable energy. This band isn't doing anything new, but they've mastered a formula that is often botched by groups with less talent. This may be an album for the spring days that still have a bit of winter's cold in their breeze--if you don't believe me, just listen to song "Winter Winds" and find out for yourself.


Artist: Gonjasufi
Album: A Sufi & A Killer
Click here to listen






Gonjasufi is actually the alias for San Diego based rapper and yoga instructor, Sumach Ecks. Say it again, one word at a time: "Gonja"--"Sufi". Yes, as in "Marijuana"--"Muslim Mystic". Coolest name ever, or outrageous mash-up? You be the judge. I started looking for this album a while ago when I heard it was actually a full-length collaboration between Ecks and Steven Ellison (mastermind behind Flying Lotus' 2009 album, Los Angeles--which you should listen to). When I finally got my hands on a copy, it was nothing like I expected it to be. I was imagining beefed-up and bassed-out Flying Lotus style sounds with a fast-paced MC spitting beats about life on the west coast. Instead, this is a combination of awesomely chill songs and more abrasive, fuzzed out tracks, all set to an extremely diverse collage of sounds, and all with Sumach Ecks' surprisingly versatile ethereal voice as lyrical companion. There's something decidedly and, given the "Sufi" portion of the name, appropriately "Eastern" sounding about many tracks on the album, particularly songs like "Sheep" that sample non-western harmonies. That being said, this is an American record through and through--a melting pot of diverse sounds and voices in conflict but contained within one recording (see "Kowboyz&Indians"). "Candylane" is an awesomely funky song with a stupidly addicting guitar riff sampled (or recorded) amidst spacey synths and minimal lyrics. I'm still working my way through this work, but finding it most listenable in mid-afternoon when I'm ready to move around and turn up the volume on my stereo.

Artist: Gorillaz
Album: Plastic Beach
Click here to listen






I'm probably the last music lover in the world to "discover" The Gorillaz, so I won't spend any time introducing you to a band you already know way more about than me. I'll keep it brief: this is such an awesome collection of hip-hop, electronica, and awesome beats, I'm not sure how anyone wouldn't want to welcome spring with this album spinning on his record player. The one-two combination of the super catchy but borderline joke "Superfast Jellyfish" and the dreamy, drifting electronics and vocals of "Empire Ants" is one of the album's best moments. But the whole thing is great, and they seem to know exactly what contemporary music waves to ride to victory. Listen, enjoy, and make fun of me for being such a late-comer.
Here are a couple more bands you should consider checking out:

1. Carolina Chocolate Drops -- Awesome "old time string band" from--you guessed it--North Carolina. Their latest album, which I have yet to find a copy of, is called Genuine Negro Jig. How can you not want to listen to an album called Genuine Negro Jig by a string band from South Carolina?

2. Titus Andronicus -- New Jersey based indie-rock, punk spotted band. Music critics are creaming themselves over their latest album, The Monitor, but I haven't been able to get into them. I suggest reading the Shakespeare play first, then giving the album a listen.

5 comments:

Vanessa said...

hey buddy!

so what are your favorite tracks on the new brmc? and i thought i was the one that turned you on to them! well apparently i like to make up memories, so there you go.

and for the record, i'd vote that gonjasufi is possibly the best name ever. did i ever tell you that my uncle used to be a sufi?

anyhow, i owe you a phone call. but for now, hello from snowy colorado!

v

RandumInk said...

Ha--I'm fairly certain you introduced me to The Brian Jonsetown Masacre, but John introduced me to BRMC. Either way, making up memories is fun, so just go with it!

My favorite tracks on the album are the first three, "Sweet Feeling," and the last track that's way too long.

I'm happy you like "Gonjasufi," but even happier to discover that your uncle used to be a sufi.

You do owe me a phone call. I've been in Boulder all week, but I'm at the airport heading back to Boston. We'll catch up soon.

Reis said...

I saw BRMC a long while back as an opener for Catch 22. I thought they were terrible, and never bothered to check them out when they started getting more attention (the same with Kings of Leon, who I think opened for U2, though I still don't care much for them) so you'll have to share some favorite tracks next time we're together.

RandumInk said...

You got it. I think "Howl" is their best album by far, so I'll share some from that.

Danielle Costa said...

So, I randomly remembered you had a blog, randomly clicked on a post, and discovered this gem in which you not only reference John and his flowing blond hair (did he ever release that album, by the way?), but mention fun times in Boulder, graduating college, your awesome housemate Anne (how is she?), and New Jersey + Titus Andronicus + Shakespeare. What I am trying to say is that sometimes fate gives you a little push in the right direction. I hope you are well, and I am really sorry we didn't get to meet up while I was in the US for 10 months. I am in Colombia now, so if you are feeling any wanderlust, come on down for a visit! xx